The earliest historical information found dates back to 1870, which gives the names of the early Christian pastors who ministered to the St. Charles area.
St. Mark's officially started as a congregation on January 27, 1907, under the leadership of the Reverened F. G. Miessler. The first called Pastor of St. Mark's was the Reverend Wilbert F. Theiss, who served St. Mark's from 1928-1935.
The various narratives explain how St. Mark's moved from the First Church, to the "Red Brick" church which was donated in 1954 by Edward J. Baker (of the Baker Hotel), and finally to building of the "New Church".
1954 - Red Brick Church Donated
1965 - Pastor Reischauer Retires
1970 - Planning Announced for Fellowship Hall
1975 - Groundbreaking AND Dedication of FellowshipHall (two articles)
1976 - Bonds Issued for New Church
1976 - Auction of Red Brick Church
1977 - Vacancy Pastors
1977 - Moving the Apartment Building
1977 - Demolition (wrong photo was used)
1970 - Cornerstone Contents Suprises
1970 - 50th Anniversary Slips by
1977 - Cornerstone - New Church
1978 - New Church Dedication (April 26)
1978 - New Church Dedication (April 29)
1983 - Pastor Zersen Retires
Above is a document celebrating laying the Corner Stone of the "Red Brick" Church in 1907, which was built by the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and later donated to St. Mark's congregation.
Above shows the south facing side of the "Red Brick" Church. It had two converging stairways to two entry doors, one facing 5th Avenue, and the other facing Walnut.
The above three photos show the interior of the "Red Brick" Church, along with the fellowship hall which was added in 1977 .
The above three photos were taken in 1977. The Parsonage in the photo above was located behind the church.
A view inside the sanctuary
The above photo shows Walnut Street (now the south parking lot for the church and St. Charles Public Library) and the "Red Brick" Church on the right. The house in the center of the photo is an apartment building that was moved to make room for the "New Church"
Above, the apartment building being moved to it's present location at the SW corner of 6th and Indiana.
The apartment building in it's new location at 6th and Indiana.
The Parsonage had to be moved too.
The Parsonage was very close to the church!
St. Mark's congregation outgrew the "Red Brick" Church, so it had to go.
Above, Salvaging the Cornerstone
Pastor Zersen with the salvaged corner stone from the "Red Brick" Church
An architectural rendering of the front of the new sanctuary.
The wood arches being placed, looking toward the front of the sanctuary.
Every congregation involved in building a suitable house of worship must soon come to grips with the decisions regarding the nature of worship and the elements required to meet those goals. Following Luther's teachings and example, the Lutheran Church has long been a singing church, placing music high on the list of priorities along with theology and the proclamation of God's Word.
In line with this commitment of worshiping God with music it was suggested during the planning stages for St. Mark's new church building that the aging organ be replaced with a new pipe organ.
The Norris Foundation of St. Charles responded with a gift for that purpose. Upon completion of the new building in 1978, St. Mark's members, Mr. and Mrs. William Fisher, duplicated the original Norris gift, getting the organ fund off to a strong start. During the months that followed, St. Mark's members generously contributed the major portion of the monies needed to purchase and install the new instrument, including the gift of the Zimblestern and star in memory of Elizabeth Spiess, and the blower and wind supply in memory of Rev. Richard Walther. This installation culminates a year long 75th anniversary celebration for St. Mark's.
The inspiration for both the tonal design and casework lies in the rich baroque organ building traditions of Northern Europe in the 17th century. The pipework is exposed in a free standing case that blends and projects the sounds of the classically voiced pipes. The tracker action mechanically connects the keys to the wind values beneath the pipes giving the organist a sensitive, intimate control of the pipe speech. The finest historic principals of organ design are combined with modern materials and techniques to produce a fine long lasting instrument with full rich tonal resources.
Chor to Great
8' Trichter Dulzian
5 1/3' Bassquinte
Great to Pedal
Chor to Pedal
Pastor F. Miesslor
Pastor H. Harms
Pastor E. Krause
Pastor W. F. Theiss
Pastor B. H. Pflug
Pastor E. L. Borgdorf
Pastor A. F. O. Pfotenhauer
Pastor Wilbur Zielke
Pastor H. A. Reischauer
Mr. Robert Schaeffer
Minister of Music, Youth, Education
Pastor Kenneth Jenks
Pastor David Zersen
Pastor James N. Hughes
Pastor Reuben C. Baerwald
Pastor Roger W. Leenerts
Pastor Timothy P. Silber
Pastor Timothy Bayer
2016 - Present
Timeline of Brief History